One of my coworkers came in to work today with the news that he had gotten a position in a group home much closer to home (he’ll be able to sleep an extra 2.5 hours a night and bike there if necessary). What this means is that there’s going to be a 40 hour position available during the week. It’s a Monday-Friday job, 7am to 3pm. I’m in a bit of a quandary here… should I try to switch my life around to days (again), or keep my night job? It’s a tough call with pros and cons for both sides of the issue. Let’s explore a couple of them…
1) It’s a job more in tune with the rest of society… I could have a social life
2) I could start working weekends again for my second job.
3) I like my morning coworkers
4) I could pick up random afternoon shifts with my second job and supplement my income even more.
5) Days are a healthier lifestyle than nights
1) I’d have to be at work for 7 in the morning
2) I’m (and always have been) a night owl
3) I’d have to work directly with the clients for 8 hours a day. Not sure if I’m up to that any more (without going postal that is)
4) Increased paperwork and other responsibilities.
5) Would no longer get my 40 hours in 4 days (and lose my 3 day weekend *every* week)
6) I’d be working 7 days a week to keep up my current income from both jobs
Traffic wouldn’t be an issue due to the time of the morning going there and the time in the afternoon coming home.
You can see my problem… There’s a lot to think about. I’m really, really loathe to give up my 3 day weekends and I really like the solitude that working the night shift provides. It’s quiet for the most part and there’s not a lot of stress involved. I get the feeling that the stress level is going to be high going in to the day program job. <sigh>